Wednesday, April 22, 2009

The potential of cloud computing

I have been PHP programmers since 2007, however, it was just 2 years later that the computing technology is evolving again. This time is what they called cloud computing. 

I was told by Sun Microsystems that they are now contributing cloud computing technology to the users. What is cloud computing? It is a new term appearings in this year. I do read about it in the IT sessions of newspaper a few months ago. 

There was something came up in my mind that "is it okay to use this new technology in bioinformatics?" That ideas sounds interesting and I started to look for literatures. It is surprisingly yes, there are people start noticing the potential of cloud computing in the bioinformatics field. What is amazing me is that they said if PHP and MySQL is the famous web scripting language and database in 2008, then the next round of it will be the technology in cloud computing!

Cloud computing, the concept is to make all the services done in desktop or laptop to go "online", that means, we all can use the softwares as web services without installing it into our computer. What we need is just input and output to upload and download. This idea is good when it comes to biologist that lacks of computer sciences knowledges (especially linux based tools in bioinformatics). 

Cloud computing surely will be a good direction to be explored in bioinformatics, I have proudly inserted it into my list of studying during free time. It makes me excited and scare when the list is keep on increased in length but the free time is limited. There is much more to learn in my field, I guess.

Today, I have received an email from MGRC, Malaysian Genome Research Center, that they have chinese version of their website! How nice it is. This shows the importance of chinese in bioinformatics, which has much developments in China. As a chinese, I am very happy to know the news. It is an advantage to learn chinese since some of the research in China are novel and advanced. This will soon increase the market of MGRC in China perhaps. 

Learning is a long life task, no one should stop from learning each day. However, the road to be a master is far more than just learning plainly... because what we learn is previous exprience of our ancestors, we should be improved and get the ability to create new knowledge, that is what makes a difference to an expert and a master. 

匠与宗师的区别就是,一个在用,一个却去创!

No comments:

Post a Comment